2021 Minutes

Evergreen Historic District

Board Meeting, September 8, 2021, Via Zoom

Attending: Bill Bullock, Jeremy Williams, Denise and Autry Parker, Susan Weber, Mallory and Dawson Seeker, Wain Rubenstein, Angela and Cannon Parkerson, Chip Chockley, Brenda Morris, Gene Laurenzi, Neely Bagwell, Don Jones, Vivian and Roger Ekstrom.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Beautification: Gene contacted Michael Wayt regarding planting trees; we will proceed with trees planted after first frost. Bill will help coordinate with Michael and get information to the neighborhood.

Planning: Don reported – 287 Angelus: This was the issue with removing the sidelights and transom on a bungalow. This was held at Landmarks in July, was heard in August, and Landmarks ruled that it was OK if only the sidelights were replaced.

McLean, one house south of Overton Park, minor subdivision, went to technical review committee, and in second meeting in August, Josh Whitehead sided with EHDA and neighbors who have insisted on deeper setbacks and other conditions. Waiting to find out if applicant will appeal to Land Use Control Board, or whether they will accept the condition or take another route. This property is for sale, and existing Evergreeners are interested in purchasing and erecting a new house.

1781 Forest at Hawthorne – Work is progressing on this house, including framing to expand the second story without any permitting or Landmarks. Now have a stop work order. EHDA Planning had reached out informing owner of Landmarks control and the proper process, but our suggestions have been ignored. Gene suggested a letter memorializing EHDA’s stance and efforts on this property and requesting the owner to comply.

Don noted it may be good for Chris to report when he sees property transfers to LLCs or other entities that lead us to believe that the new owner may be looking to make a quick flip without following the process.

A resolution was passed by City Council requiring reporting data and a process change regarding historic districts. Don reported that Mary Wilder of VECA is well versed on this resolution. Demographics and values compared to market are two of the data points that are to be reported. There was some discussion regarding what EHDA should do regarding this. Don asked that board members consider this, and recommend any courses of action they deem appropriate.

Jeremy reported that part 1 of the survey went out last month with more than 200 responses. Jeremy plans to close part 1 soon and send the data to the board. Jeremy suggested doing a raffle of the identified folks who respond to the survey using some of our existing gift certificates to reward a randomly selected group of responders.

Chip noted Oct. 5 will be National Night Out. He will send out a reminder to block captains.

Over $2,000 raised for Levitt Shell. Jeremy will put out one more appeal to the neighborhood, with the “soft” close of the effort to be at the end of September.

Williamson Park – it appears the damage that happened to the turf/dirt has been repaired. The damaged tree is still in place. Gene suggested getting Michael Wayt look at the tree and determine what needs to happen to have a healthy tree at that location. Pending his assessment, we will then ask the homeowner to reimburse the costs for this.

At this time, no general membership meeting is planned.

Susan wondered if EHDA should put out guidance on Halloween. Neely suggested we provide a link to good public information regarding the best practices.

Neely noted they had a catalytic converter theft recently, though she believes the police are handling things appropriately and believe they know who the culprit is.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

Evergreen Historic District

August 11, 2021 Board Meeting, Via Zoom

Attending: Jeremy Williams, Chris Morton, Turner Foster, Chip Chockley, Susan Weber, Gene Laurenzi, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Denise and Autry Parker, Neely Bagwell, Carrie Kerley, Don Jones, Wain Rubenstein, Katie Bruce.

There was discussion regarding the damage to Williamson Park by the homeowner’s contractor putting in a pool on Willett. It was agreed that we need to discuss with Parks and find out what is going on, and that the homeowner, the contractor, and/or their insurance company needs to correct the situation as soon as possible. Damages include grading issues as well as damage to a tree previously planted by EHDA.

Minutes of last meeting were approved.

Finance – Carrie reported that almost $4,000 was deposited today from recent membership dues.

Beautification Committee – Gene made a motion to add 2 more trees to Williamson Park. Don reiterated the position discussed at last month’s meeting regarding the state of the improvements with the City. It was agreed we would pursue adding two trees, paying attention to pick appropriate species and arrange for watering for at least the first summer.

Teresa suggested that we ask residents to clean up the alley behind their homes. Denise will write something up for Chris to post in the E News and Teresa to post on Facebook.

Membership – Chris previously had sent a graph showing the numbers, $13,000 plus dues for the year, similar to previous. New house packet list sent out. In answer to a question from Don, Chris reported that if a new owner is an out-of-town LLC, he usually does not put them on the new home packet list.

Fund Raising – Hoping for spring Ball.

Planning – Don Reported: 287 Angelus, property where investor has taken out the sidelights and transom from the front door. EHDA has been shown some pictures of new door with sidelights, and has asked to see what is taking place on replacing the transom. 1905 Overton Park continues to have high weeds.

1663 Lawrence – Abandoned property with Community Court hearing happening this Thursday. Michael or Don will attend.

Don reported he is reviewing the amendments suggested this year for OPD. Also, in conjunction with Memphis 3.0 and the anchor’s identified, they are looking to down-zone areas around these properties, enabling more of a pedestrian orientation around these anchors.

Also a wellhead protection overlay has been proposed. Don will send to Bill for review.

Don reported still working through the survey for the design review guidelines. In a recent meeting, he was reminded that we have the only design review guidelines that do not prohibit painting brick. He noted that from discussions in past years, EHDA leadership felt that we would not get approval of the guidelines if that was part of them. That may be revisited in the updates pending survey responses.

Bill reported that the two lots on the corner of Galloway and Watkins have been purchased by Crosstown Development. Teresa reported that 290 Stonewall has been purchased. It was added that the new owner has previously done some good renovation work on McNeil, and that this is to be their residence.

Wain reported that a large house on the south end of Stonewall has been purchased and a high and B&B is planned.

Neely was interested in the work at 1718 Forest. New owner seems to be in construction now.

Jeremy reported that part 1 of the survey will be going out in the next week or so.

Community Engagement – Chip reported that Oct 5 will be National Night Out. Hoping it will actually be cooler that the old August date. He reported good responses from many block captains.

Neighborhood Watch continuing to go forward slowly. Jeremy meeting with an interested Evergreener next week on this topic.

It was suggested that EHDA may want to approach some homeowners on the east side of Stonewall regarding planting trees.

We have raised just shy of $1,000 for Levitt Shell.

General Membership Meeting pushed to later than in the year. Will evaluate pandemic and make plans as appropriate.

Discussed the unsafe situation at Stonewall and Galloway and will send the homeowner a letter asking for remediation of the dangerous situation with overgrown trees obscuring views and sidewalk access.

Jeremy reported that Landmarks has changed their fee schedule, increasing several fees significantly. It was noted that the increase may cause more folks to try to get around Landmarks.

Jeremy reported that Worth Morgan wanted to attach to VECA’s Historic District approval a condition to come back in 20 years. It was not approved, but he did float the idea that all Historic Districts must routinely come back for continued historic designation.

Don reported that Josh Whitehead agreed with EHDA in the conditions we suggested in the case involving the planned development at McLean and Hawthorne.

Wain reported that the full and the half marathon will both be routed on Stonewall.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

Evergreen Historic District

July 14, 2021 Board Meeting @ Pizza Trasimeno

Attending: Jeremy Williams, Sam Goff, Wain Rubenstein, Chris Morton, Don Jones, Turner Foster, Matt Inbusch, Cannon Parkerson, Roger and Vivian Ekstrom, Chip Chockley, Autry Parker, Katie Bruce, Misti Doose, Gene Laurenzi and Carrie Kerley via Zoom.

Minutes of last meeting were approved.

Carrie had previously sent financials to the board. They were approved.

Beautification – Gene reported we are looking to plant trees in the fall/winter. Don reported Mike Flowers at Parks has said that everything was backed up, so not likely to see trail installation at Williamson Park this year, but may see playground improvements this fall.

Membership – Chris reported no significant changes. Misti is working on categories. She will report back at next meeting.

Fundraising – Target date for Evergreen Ball is early March. Gene reported that there is come Yoga equipment set up in the space previously used, but can likely be made workable for the Ball.

Planning – Don Jones – No change on design guidelines. 287 Angelus – Bungalow where investor came in and removed transom and sidelights on the front door. Committee recommends that we get this returned to its original design. 407 Angelus – Went before Landmarks for rear addition not going higher than peak of roof. What is under construction is significantly different from what was approved.

395 N. McLean – Last month, the board voted to oppose a Planned Development proposed for this location. The application was dropped. In its place, a request for a subdivision was requested. With only one additional lot, OPD Staff has ruled it a minor application, with a shortened review process and no mandatory neighborhood meeting. Landmarks will review construction plans if approved, but their authority will only be on what is visible from the street. Issues discussed included height, setbacks, impact to the Lick Creek drainage basin, and what the opinions of the abutting neighbors are. Don opined that while EHDA will send written comments, the viewpoint of the nearby neighbors is important both in writing and at the upcoming review of this subdivision.

Community Engagement – Chip sent an email out regarding Aug. 3 Neighborhood Night Out. He has already gotten some positive feedback.

Neighborhood Watch – Jeremy said nothing new to report at this time.

1905 Overton Park – It is under contract for sale by a local architect and his wife, with closing prior to next Environmental Court meeting. 290 Stonewall is under contract and is actively being cleaned up now.

Chris reported that Dropbox would be a little cheaper as a platform for storing EHDA data and making it available to officers and board now and in the future. Tabled for now.

There was discussion on the survey mechanism to use for the upcoming survey that will inform the design guideline review. Jeremy will pursue Survey Monkey.

Levitt Shell Fundraiser – Jeremy will let them know we will participate in encouraging Evergreeners to donate to the Shell.

Traffic Study – Jeremy has discussed with Nick Oyler some traffic shaping devices on Overton Park between Stonewall and Evergreen. The idea came from Evergreeners Kerry Roy and Tom Lawrence. It was suggested that we have Nick address the neighborhood on this topic.

Jeremy reported there is approved work going on at a house on Willett backing up to Williamson Park. The contractors have used Williamson Park as access, and damage has occurred to the park and to at least one tree. The homeowners have apologized and have agreed to make it right.

Sam reported that July 28 is his 70th birthday and his having a party at Doghauzz. Board invited.

Chip reported there is a serial exposer on the V&E Greenline. He urged the board to be on the lookout.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

Evergreen Historic District Association

June 9, 2021 Board Meeting – via Zoom

Attending: Jeremy Williams, Bill and Teresa Bullock, Chris Morton, Neely Bagwell, Michael Seeker, Autry and Denise Parker, Susan Weber, Wain Rubenstein, Gene Laurenzi, Turner Foster, Brenda Morris, Cannon Parkerson, Misti Doose, Katie Bruce.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Financial Report – Normal expenditures – Mail Chip and MLGW. Chris noted there will be a big deposit next month with many dues checks.

Beautification –Gene moved that we allocate $5,000 for tree planting this fall. There was significant discussion, and it was agreed to table until August.

Teresa reported the Evergreen Garden Club did two days at Sallie Hillard Park behind Drakes Cleaners. They cleaned it up and planted several plants.

Membership – Chris reported we are a little behind last year in memberships, but probably ahead dollarwise because of some larger gifts.

Misti asked about autopay, and whether it would make sense to make it mandatory. Chris reported about 43 people currently using autopay. He noted about 60% of members pay by check. Misti agreed to come up with ideas for gifts for larger memberships.

Communication – Chris reported that not many submissions are coming in. Brenda asked about whether or not we want to put some information out to the neighborhood regarding the proposed infill between McLean and Hawthorne.

There was significant discussion regarding the infill. This will go to Land Use Control Board in July. Evergreener Dean Hestermann has sent several emails to the EHDA board explaining this infill project. July 2 deadline for comments. It was unanimously agreed to oppose this infill.

Fundraising – Misti agreed to take over the Evergreen Ball.

Planning meets this coming Monday.

1905 Overton Park went before Environmental Court last month. The person with power of attorney wants to sell it, and there are willing buyers. To go back to EC on June 16 to report on progress of cleaning up.

1462 Poplar – going to Community Court at Crosstown Concourse.

Jeremy appreciated the feedback and reported that he believes they can get the survey out to the neighborhood in the next month or so.

Community Engagement – Neighborhood Night Out – August 3. Chip will put together an email to send to Block Captains with he details and encourage them to have a block party.

Jeremy is looking to get with Jim Dean and discuss situation with the Zoo.

July Board meeting – July 14 – Jeremy will work on finding a venue to meet in person with an option for folks to Zoom in if not able to attend. Misti will explore having it at Crosstown Brewery.

There was discussion regarding an August neighborhood meeting. Susan and Jeremy will discuss.

There was discussion regarding the ask from Levitt Shell for EHDA spearheading fundraising. Jeremy will get more details from the Shell and kick it back to the board.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

May 12, 2021 Via Zoom

Attending: Bill and Teresa Bullock, Jeremy Williams, Chris Morton, Wain Rubenstein, Katie Bruce, Don Jones, Autry and Denise Parker, Matt Inbusch, Chip Chockley, Brenda Morris, Carrie Kerley, Susan Weber, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Sam Goff, and Vivian Ekstrom.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Carrie shared the financial report. Usual debits for MLGW and Mail Chimp. Large deposit of $7,564, months of dues from PayPal account. Total assests $42,162. She filed IRS 990 via postcard. The report was approved.

Beautification – The Evergreen Garden Club wants to work on Sallie Hillard Park. Teresa will meet with them on Friday at their regular meeting to discuss.

Membership – Chris previously sent the new house packet list. Chris has a number of checks to submit.

Communication – Teresa reported the usual Facebook stuff as well as posting Yard of the Month.

Fund Raising – Teresa is attempting to find a chair for the ball.

Planning – Don reported there are 5 applications submitted to Landamarks, 3 minors, two majors. Minors, 256 Hawthorne, garage, 211 Kenilworth, new drive and sidewalk, 444 Stonewall, new detached garage with pool room. Committee reviewed and determined no new comments needed. Comments had already been submitted on materials for the Hawthorne garage.

1769 Overton Park – Small building similar to a solarium is proposed. EHDA will remain neutral. 1677 Beard – install circular driveway. Property originally may have had two driveways. EHDA will submit comments in opposition, based on our opposition to front yard parking.

Community Engagement – Chip reported that it is time to get some forward momentum after COVID.

Neighborhood Watch – Jeremey reported that District I had its second meeting with the MPD Coordinator. He had good things to say about the officers and coordinator with MPD on this. He urged board members to attempt to get interest in other districts. Five households minimum participation required.

Neighborhood Spotlight – No irons in the fire at this point for future spotlights. Jeremy asked for board members to make suggestions to Don Jones.

Jeremy reported that Eric Gottlieb contacted Jim Dean at the Zoo regarding trash from patrons, particularly on Tuesdays and weekends. It was reported that Dean is considering cardboard trash cans that we assume the zoo would pick up, but there has been no report of cleanup by Zoo personnel. There was also significant discussion regarding parking in the neighborhood on heavy-use zoo days.

1905 Overton Park – Chip reported that Steve Barlow referred him to Will Gibbons at the City Attorney’s office. They apparently have a new way of handling and prosecuting such situations. Chip has discussed this with Will, and Will said he would check on next steps by the city attorney’s office. In the meantime, he said consistent 311 complaint is the proper procedure.

Jeremey had spoken with Mr. Mohammed of Code Enforcement. The property has a follow up visit scheduled. Per Mr. Mohammed, if the situation is not resolved at time of follow up, it will be forwarded to Environmental Court.

Chris is researching and will come back to the board with potential options for data storage such as dropbox and Google’s solution.

Jeremy reported that the Kids writing project was terrific and the board agreed.

Wain reported that he understands that the developers of Washington Bottoms are looking at mixed use, but it is probably several years down the road.

There was discussion about resuming board meetings in person. Will be via Zoom again next month, but will have discussions at next meeting regarding this.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

April 14, 2021 Via Zoom

Attending: Jeremy Williams, Bill and Teresa Bullock, Chris Morton, Denise Parker, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Wain Rubenstein, Cannon Parkerson, Turner Foster, Misti Doose, Carrie Kerley, Susan Weber, Gene Laurenzi, Chip Chockley, Don Jones, Brenda Morris.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Carrie reported on the financials and the budget. March deposited $1,365 for memberships,  with usual expenses, and expenses related to membership, dues cards, and welcome packets. She filed annual report with TN Secretary of State. The financial report was approved.

Beautification Committee: Spring Cleanup – will attempt to work with Evergreen Garden Club on Sallie Hillard park, Garden Club wants to work on the park and plant something in honor of garden club member Billie Cannon who recently passed away. Teresa and Gene will coordinate with garden club. Jeremy will make sure EHDA is registered and we will pick up seeds for the plant the town red campaign.

Membership – Cards will go out shortly to past members who have not yet paid dues.

Communication – Social media has been better since rules instituted. Carrie noted that Central Gardens is doing a kids section in their newsletter. All agreed it is a great idea, with low content in E News. Carrie was asked to write up a blurb and offer MemPops gift certificates to kids making submissions.

Fundraising – Teresa said if we have a Feb date on Evergreen Ball, we should get started by July.

Planning – Committee met earlier in the week and discussed minor cases – no major cases this month. Case for subdivision on N. Parkway close to Crosstown. Supposedly going to Land Use Control Board. Committee had concerns with splitting lots. Design of building will go through Landmarks as well. Don Jones will chair the committee going forward.

Design Guideline update – Matt, Katie and Jeremy have been working on questions and formatting for questions for a survey.

Community Engagement – Chip noted he is still sitting on a cache of gift certificates for block captains when opportunity arises. Some may be used for incentives for folks filling our Design Guidelines surveys.

Safety and Neighborhood Watch – Jeremy is working in District 1, and is hoping to apply lessons learned to the other districts of EHDA. Jeremy meeting with Police tomorrow.

Neighborhood spotlight – One additional person added, was sent to Chris and will go out in next E News.

National Night Out – Official date is second Tuesday in August.

Dropbox for EHDA Data – Chris and Jeremy are putting together an online repository for EHDA files. There is now an EHDA President email account, that can pass to each new president. Chris noted a bare bones dropbox business account tied to our domain accommodating 3 users can be secured for $450 per year. Chris will check into some other options suggested like One Drive and report back to the board.

Resident at Stonewall and N. Parkway made a suggestion of rebuilding a stone wall on the west side of Stonewall at North Parkway to replace the one torn down in the past. It was decided not to pursue.

Jeremy noted a question from a neighbor wondering if the Zoo will be cleaning up trash in the neighborhood left by zoo visitors parking in the neighborhood. New CEO Jim Dean has seemed to be amenable to working with the neighborhood. It was suggested to check with Eric Gottlieb and Sarah Newstok.

Jeremy discussed 1905 Overton Park. In a nutshell, it appears there is little that EHDA can do to effect any significant change. Jeremy asked for board input regarding whether EHDA can do something itself. There was significant discussion, and it was agreed that EHDA filing suit against the current homeowner may be the best way to effect change. We will touch base with Steve Barlow of Neighborhood Preservation Inc for information and recommendation.

1663 Autumn Avenue is getting several complaints on the city 311 Ap. This is an abandoned church that has been unoccupied for many years. Some complaints include animals leaving the church. EHDA has previously attempted to find solutions to the issue, but there is even question whether the owning entity actually still exists. Gene has the last deed, and we will look into bringing this into Environmental Court.

Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

March 10, 2021 Via Zoom

Attending: Missy Williams, Jeremy Williams, Bill Bullock, Chris Morton, Susan Weber, Brenda Morris, Chip Chockley, Vivian and Roger Ekstrom, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Gene Laurenzi, Don Jones, Katie Bruce, Autry and Denise Parker, Turner Foster, Wain Rubenstein, Neely Bagwell, Matt Inbusch.

Minutes from last meeting were approved

2021 budget approved unanimously.

Beautification — recommended reaching out to Mr. flowers, which Gene will do to get an update on Williamson improvements. There is a video gaming competition to be held at Williamson park, notice was posted on Facebook today.

Membership, dues have come in, Chris has new cards, reformatted due to new postal machines that were returning some, cards will go out shortly to those that have not yet paid dues for 2021.

Communication – no updates

Fundraising – no updates

Planning – small area plan is something that we should push and work on and develop in relation to Memphis 3.0.  would likely look to partner with other neighborhoods to go forward with this.

Missy sent a list of vacant problem properties to Melvin Burgess Assessor of Property who asked for that information in case he can assist in making improvements.

Don updated the group on the questionnaire to Evergreeners regarding their views on design review guidelines. He plans to break it up in small parts and get it in front of neighbors via several social media outlets and attempt to get it available to as many demographics as possible. It is hoped this information will help guide us in where we spend our efforts. There was some discussion regarding how to incentivize folks to fill out the questionnaire. Also discussion on how best to store data. Hope to launch in April and then start the Design Guideline Committee efforts.

Community Engagement – There was significant discussion on how to best communicate with and educate block captains.

Neighborhood Watch – Missy sent an email to district representatives regarding this. We are looking to form 5 neighborhood watch groups. There are requirements for 3 in-person meetings with a minimum of 5 residents. Melanie Dorsey is the MPD liaison for this. We are awaiting further information from Melanie regarding if we can do this virtually. One of the reasons we are pursuing neighborhood watch is to qualify for more potential grant opportunities.

Discussed the information presented by the Appraiser in the Zoom call.

Missy noted that several of the armadillo bumps on Evergreen have been uprooted.

Byhalia pipeline – EHDA sent a letter in opposition.

The smoke/vape shop to occupy the space across from Snowden was discussed. No updates available at present regarding challenges to this. March 24 scheduled to be at board of adjustment. It was agreed to write a letter of opposition to this. Don suggested we echo VECA’s comments.

Missy let the group know she is stepping down because her family will be relocating to another city. Jeremy will be taking over as president. She received compliments on the great job she has done as president as well as much well-wishing as her family moves on.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Meeting

Feb. 10, 2021 Via Zoom

Attending: Missy Williams, Chris Morton, Wain Rubenstein, Jeremy Williams, Bill and Teresa Bulllock, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Katie Bruce, Matt Inbusch, Wain Rubenstein, Chip Chockley, Neely Bagwell, Gene Laurenzi, Turner Foster, Denise Parker, Carrie Kerley, Susan Weber, Don Jones, Vivian and Roger Ekstrom, Brenda Morris,

The new board members were introduced, Katie Bruce and Matt Inbusch.

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

Carrie presented the financial report. As of Jan. 31, 2021, EHDA has $36,029.95. She also presented the final budget vs. actual expenses for 2020. Budget was $16,400 with actuals $16,893. Revenue was about $16,561.57. She also presented a preliminary budget for 2021.

Don explained his request for $5,000 for working on re-writing the EHDA design guidelines for 2021. Carrie will reflect this in a line item for the 2021 budget. He further explained how Brett Ragsdale of the Office and Planning and Development thought that an update of this 30-year-old document may assist his office and the Landmarks Commission in making decisions and recommendations more in line with EHDA’s wishes.

Beautification – Gene related that the city had given EHDA some money to upgrade Williamson Park While they are going slow, they are moving forward. They will start with new surfacing for the playground, and them move to other items on the plan. Don added that it was $150,000, with the No. 1 item being a walking trail around the park. A bid is expected, but the timeframe is unknown. Gene also noted that City Beautiful has been supportive as well.

Teresa noted that one tree previously planted has died. She also noted that Niel and Sara Prosser have expressed interest in working on beautification committee and fundraising. They will be moving into Sue Williams old home on Stonewall.

Membership – Chris had previously sent the new home packet list. Membership notices went out electronically today, and he has received about 50 responses already.

Communication – Chris has deleted several people from Facebook because of bad behavior.

Planning – Jeremy noted no majors coming before Landmarks this month. VECA has been applying for historic status and got their approval from Landmarks. Will next go to Land Use Control Board to finalize the process. Crosstown is also pursuing Landmarks, but there have been some issues involving the development of the “mound,” the old I 40 ROW. While he said it will not be coming forward next month, he believes progress is being made. There was some additional discussion on what the actual plan is for the mound, and whether or not it contains any park space. Jeremy will monitor the process and share additional information with the board.

He noted that neighbors of 1905 Overton Park have reached out to EHDA board members regarding what is going on with this house. It was significantly damaged by a tree in 2003, has been through receivership, and was purchased in 2019. Unfortunately, it looks like little work has taken place, and the grounds are deteriorating and are a major concern of neighbors. Missy noted that she and Jeremy had spoken with Steve Barlow of Neighborhood Preservation Inc. He said there seems to be some litigation still underway by the previous owner. Missy noted that a reporter had reached out to EHDA not long ago. She also noted how she is working to support both the new owner and the nearby neighbors.

Don noted that Roger will meet with planning and give an overview of Memphis 3.0, that will educate us more on this comprehensive planning document. Don noted all board members would benefit from this update.

Don updated the board on an EHDA questionnaire. Regarding reviewing and revising EHDA’s design guidelines, he believes that we need to know what our residents think and what are their priorities. He has already shared tool this with Jeremy and Missy. She will keep the board posted and share with the board in the coming weeks.

Safety – This group has not met recently. She and Jeremy spent a lot of time on the Neighborhood Watch effort. Melanie Dorsey of MPD has just responded and they are negotiating boundaries.

Neighbor spotlight – Don reported that Vishant Shah has given some input and he submitted about 4 names. He also reached out to DiAnn Gordon. She is interested in spotlighting another neighbor. Don expects something from her soon. Denise suggested spotlighting the new board members.

Missy reported that Colonel Jackson of the West Precinct has spoken with her about 361 N. Watkins and some of the recent activity. MPD is well aware, last time was Jan. 26, neighbors called, police responded, and the suspect was apprehended and charged with a felony and other charges. Organized Crime unit is now involved as well with this property that is suspected of being a drug house.

Missy noted she followed up with citizens who had some concerns about parking on Evergreen because of the new lane markings, and discussed same with Nick Oyler. While no changes in markings are planned, the city is looking at some additional measures to help control speed.

Missy also noted the city reached out to her to put together a meeting with residents to go over appraisals that will be happening soon. They want to do a resident-wide Zoom meeting on Thursday, March 4 at 6 p.m.

Jeremy suggested creating an Evergreen wall calendar. Perhaps we could spotlight homes, parks and/or green spaces that folks could purchase. Several people chimed in with ideas on how to make it appealing.

The potential smoke/vape shop next door to Dino’s was discussed. Vivian and Don will look into the situation to see if there are any opportunities to oppose this in case it is afoul with codes, zoning or other governmental regulations.

Missy noted that in the past month there was an issue with a load truck in the neighborhood. Enough neighbors reported it, the police have looked into it, and things seem to have improved in recent days. It is a large red pickup truck with “don’t tread on me sticker” with a malfunctioning or no muffler. It was noted we should not engage with this individual.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

January 13, 2021 – Via Zoom

Attending: Missy Williams, Chris Morton, Wain Rubenstein, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Cannon Parkerson, Gene Laurenzi, Jeremy Williams, Autry Parker, Chip Chockley, Sam Goff, Brenda Morris, Vivian Ekstrom, Don Jones, Bill and Teresa Bullock.

Financials not available this evening, will have them next month

Beautification – The City wants to do an MLK related cleanup, reached out to see if EHDA wanted to be involved, city wants a waiver and groups of 10 or fewer, Gene discussed doing some semi informal cleanup effort in Williamson park on that Monday morning. He will put the waiver/forms on Facebook.

Discussed a grant from the city, which was denied this past year, but discussed using that grant to reinforce or assist the wall on Stonewall at Poplar. The west side wall is in poor shape and needs work.  The cost to repair that wall is very high, and there is significant importance of that stone retaining wall thematically to the neighborhood.

Sam reported that there was an excavator and dumb trucks at the “mound.”

Membership. Chris will send out 2021 dues notices shortly.

New member packets were discussed. Teresa is unable to do this at this time.

Planning: Two cases before Landmarks this month. Sue Williams old home, minor. Application for 545 Stonewall, west side at North Parkway, application for wrought iron fence in the front yard. It was discussed that this may be an appropriate site for a fence.

Jeremy noted that Crosstown is still moving forward with historic district status.

Don requested $5,000 be set aside for the design guidelines review process that would involve at least one appropriately notified neighborhood meeting. There was significant discussion on how this process may flow. $5,000 was approved.

Community Engagement: Chip reported that he is working on distribution of gift cards to block captains. He noted that given Covid 19 is still active, we may not want to rush distribution that would require the restaurants to honor these cards.

Missy reported she is still working on Neighborhood Watch.

General Membership Meeting: January 21. Councilman Jeff Warren will be participating, Col. Debbie Jackson with MPD will join. Will meet via Zoom. Jeremy has created signs, and notice will go out via social media outlets.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.