2020 Minutes

Evergreen Board Meeting

March 11, 2020

Midtown Crossing Grill

Attending: Missy Williams, Chris Morton, Bill & Teresa Bullock, Turner Foster, Wain Rubenstein, Sam Goff, Susan Weber, Don Jones, Jason Brewer, Gene Laurenzi, Carrie Kerley, Chip Chockley, Vivian Ekstrom, Tom Midgley, April Pruett, Brenda Morris, Denise Parker.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Carrie went over financials. February report showed expenses including Central Yearbook Ad, VECA Artwalk, Christmas Caroling expenses, Gala expenses. She also presented year to date 2020 vs. budget.

It appears the gala will net approximately $2,500.

Beautification: Gene reported we have not heard back from grant request.

Membership: Chris reported 114 dues payers at this time. Notifications to Block Captains to pay dues by March 30 went out.

Fundraising: Teresa reported on the ball, and expected a meeting soon for debrief and potential improvements for next event. The group applauded her and her committee members and the success of the event.

Communication: Committee Descriptions due to Chris for inclusion on website.

Planning: Don noted that the committee had a productive and informative meeting with Monte Jasper of Neighborhood Preservation Inc. Don passed around list of problem properties. He noted three properties coming before Landmarks and Land Use. The three cases:

1 – 293 N. Willett – numerous problems with the application. EHDA notified Landmarks staff and hopefully they will work with applicant get a more appropriate design.

2 – 575 Dickinson – “back lot” of house on North Side of N. Parkway. Comments given to Landmarks.

3 – 319 Garland – divide single family lot to two lots. EHDA will recommend the application be denied.

He reported that 1700 Galloway is in Environmental Court again on Friday. He requested neighbors try to attend to assist gaining traction. It was continued last time, perhaps because neighbors were not present to push.

Community Engagement – Jason reported that the committee met and had good discussion. He reported that we need to engage the block captains. Planning a block captain bash in Williamson Park for the family. Open to block captains or those interested in being a block captain. He is hopeful that this will help solve the block captain problem. Date of bash planned to be April 26. Jason requested $500 for the event. Carrie noted there is $2,500 in the budget for this committee. The budget was approved. Chris reported he will be able to invite active block captains and residents in blocks not covered by block captains. Next meeting of committee is April 11 at 9 a.m. at French Truck – all board invited.

New Business:

It was agreed to sponsor the MOJO of Memphis Awards held by MidtownMemphis.org., $250.

It was agreed to fund the Snowden Community Festival, $250.

Concourse is trying to find ways to re-engage the community. Missy has been discussing this with Porche Stevens. We will look for ways to connect and collaborate.

After Don brought it up, it was agreed to ask Mark Fleisher with Storyboard and/or Kim Lloyd to interview Sue Williams. It was agreed to plant a tree in Wiliamson park in her honor. Bill will work with Landscape Works on the trees, Teresa will contact Kim Lloyd, and Sam will contact Mark Fleisher.

Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

February 12, 2020

Midtown Crossing Grill

Attending: Missy Williams, Sam Goff, Wain Rubenstein, Jeremy Williams, Chris Morton, Bill and Teresa Bullock, Michael and Mallory Seeker, Don Jones, Eric Gottlieb (Zoo Liaison) , Chip Chockley, Tom Midgley, Neely Bagwell, Susan Weber, Brenda Morris, Vivian Ekstrom, Turner Foster, Denise Parker.

Being the first meeting of the new board, the members introduced themselves.

Zoo Liaison – Eric Gottlieb reported on what is happening with the Zoo. He recapped the activism of the last several years and working through the Overton Park Alliance to find resolution to the parking issues at the zoo. He related the compromise that had been reached that involved taking about 2.5 acres of the greensward and giving General Services to the Conservancy.

A month ago or so, there was an announcement of a change. A modular parking system was discovered and that is now in the mix. Eric has been discussing with the city regarding ways to mitigate the impact of the parking structure on adjacent homes. Eric attempted to get the city to consider putting the garage on the eastern side of the existing main zoo lot. That has seemed to gain no traction.

Eric praised Jim Dean, new CEO of the Zoo, as being very good to work with and exhibiting a level of openness absent from previous leadership. Board members raised several questions regarding the impact to neighbors, both on Autumn and Mclean, and the concern that they were not being properly informed. Missy planned to get Eric in touch with the applicable block captains in the area. Eric reported that Kyle Veazey was sent to Europe to look at similar existing structures. Eric will ask him for some images. Eric reported that screening with green walls of plants may be a reasonable way to soften the view to those nearby.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Financial report. Carrie was not able to attend, but supplied a financial report that was distributed. Total Assets $36,638. Report Approved.

Beautification – Committee members: Gene, Don, Teresa, Vivian, Bill (tree planting). Main foci – Williamson Park, Sallie Hillard Park, Tree Planting. Don reported that we are seeking a new, nice trash can for Williamson Park. As an alternative, a planting of shrubs around the sign. Don has spoken with Mike Flowers of the city regarding pursuing the walking trail previously designed.

Communication – Teresa reported that Evergreen Ball is on Facebook. Current members: Chris and Teresa.

Membership – Current Members: Chris and Teresa. Denise volunteered to help with welcome packets. Chris handed out new home packets. Will have dues update next meeting. He reported that 40-50 folks are using the recurring membership. We have a request for a new membership level, lifetime. After discussion, it was agreed to give this more thought. Missy asked where board members can assist with Membership. Chris reported that recruiting new block captains is another difficult part of the committee. Sam volunteered his Malvern B&B as a party location for recognizing block captains.

Chris will send notices to all existing block captains that are not dues payers letting them know that they are required to pay dues. He anticipates some resignations, at which time we will determine best ways to fill vacancies and keep block captains engaged.

Missy requested that committees and chairs be part of the website and facebook page. Communication committee will work on this. She noted that committees are for board members and non-board members alike.

Planning Committee – Current members: Jeremy (chair), Turner, Don and Marion Jones, Cannon Parkerson, Shannon Dixon, John Pruett, Buddy Fey. Jeremy reported on duties of the committee: Reviewing items that come before Landmarks, with the hope of working with homeowners and getting them to understand and abide by EHDA Design Guidelines. The other side of the committee is dealing with structures in the neighborhood that are empty, neglected or blighted, and trying to get them to comply with codes and be truly contributing structures in Evergreen. Planning has also been tasked with sidewalk issues in the neighborhood. There was significant discussion on sidewalks.

Planning Committee meetings are Mondays prior to EDHA Board meetings.

There were questions regarding the new Montessori school building at Poplar and Garland. Process seems to have stopped. Unsure of timeline.

Jeremy reported plans to talk with Neighborhood Preservation Inc to learn some best practices. The committee is looking into the Poplar Lofts at Poplar and Tucker.

Fundraising – Committee Members: Teresa, Missy, Carrie. Teresa reported that the Evergreen Ball, held every other year, is a major fundraiser. Have also done wine tastings as well as neighborhood home brew fest. The Ball is Feb 29. Roaring Twenties theme. Tickets $50 each. 67 sold. Seven local restaurants on board with food donations. There is a signature drink called Bees Knees. Music from 6:30 to 7:30 by Posey Hedges. DJ Ron Cohen will play 7:30 to 10:30. Also have photographer.

Ball Committee: Teresa (chair), Denise, Jennifer Campbell, Diane Laurenzi, Misty Doosie, Neely, Taryn Spake, Brenda, Vivian, Jackie Morton,

Community Engagement – Jason Brewer is chair. This committee was set up originally as safety, and members researched that safety is based on community engagement. So it was renamed, and the focus was more events that allow for that: Movie night, Crawfish Boil, Block Captain parties and recognition, Picnic, Christmas Caroling (Don chair, Bill, Sam), National Night Out. Sam let the board know that Trinity UMC kitchen is available some Saturday morning for an EHDA cooking/eating event.

Members: Jason (chair), Chip, Tom, Brenda, Bill, Denise, Susan, Tom Lawrence,

Sam noted Trinity UMC has a big Easter Egg Hunt. EHDA has previously sponsored this and agreed to do so again at $250.

V&E Art Walk, supporting the 1.7-mile Greenline, is coming April 25. Board agreed to fund at $500 level.

There was discussion that board location and day is not set in stone, and can be revisited.

Missy asked all board members to consider what committees most appeal to them, and to sign up for several.

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned.

 

EHDA Board Meeting

January 8, 2020

Midtown Crossing Grill

Attending: Bill and Teresa Bullock, Sam Goff, Chris Morton, Wain Rubenstein, Turner Foster, Angela Parkerson, Jeremy Williams, Don Jones, Tom Midgley, Carrie Kerley, Vivian Ekstrom, Neeley Bagwell, Gene Laurenzi, Missy Williams.

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

Carrie distributed the financial report. Total assets $36,666.30. She also passed out a prospective 2020 budget. The budget was discussed. Board approved both budget and financial report.

Membership: Chris noted that dues notices will go out soon; electronically first, then via mail.

Fund Raising: Gene let the board know that we need ideas for $500 City grant. Teresa informed the board know the theme for the Evergreen Ball is the Roaring Twenties. Price per ticket is $50. Date is February 29 at the Stonewall Masonic Lodge. 6:30 -10:30. Don suggested that Diane may want to display some EHDA wares for purchase. Will have live jazz with Jim Spake and others.

Communication: Teresa and Chris have posted the January meeting notice in E News and Facebook page.

Beautification/Community Engagement – Sam discussed the potential parking garage at McLean and Prentis. He has heard from several nearby neighbors who are not pleased. Sam noted that screening may be the key to make the garage more palatable from residents on Autumn as well as the view from McLean. Sam noted that Eric Gottlieb is EHDA’s representative dealing with the zoo on this issue.

Don let the board know that the City spent money on other parks and did not allocate funds towards the improvements at Williamson this year. It was agreed that we still want these improvements. Sam recommended that Gene and Don contact the mayor’s office and let him know.

The board approved $250 for Central High Yearbook ad.

Planning and Development – Jeremy handed out a report of activity.  Discussion regarding sending notice to all properties notifying them of requirements for seeking Landmarks approval; goal, minimize number of properties that ask for forgiveness because they didn’t know; and/or get Landmarks to cease being so forgiving with applicants that violate the rules.

Also had discussion regarding Neighborhood Preservation Inc. We will get them to meet with the planning committee. Jeremy also reported that Carl Tisdale, owner of Trinity sanctuary building, assured him there were no plans for apartments. It is now being used by Mercy Hill Church.

Annual meeting, January 23. Bring food for pot luck.

Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.