Greetings Evergreen Neighbors,
I want to thank the belle of McNeil St., Gretchen Stroud, for planning a successful EHDA annual meeting and potluck dinner last month. We heard an update about Sears Crosstown redevelopment from Todd Richardson; looked at schematics of the renovations planned for our neighborhood Kroger on Watkins from Alex Scandroli, and got a crime prevention update from MPD precinct commander Col. Russell Houston. We were also introduced to Cheryl Burns, the owner of Evergreen’s newest restaurant, Fox-cee’s Grill and Bar, at the corner of Overton Park and N. Watkins. We had a full house at Trinity United Methodist Church and a lot of great questions and dialogue.
At the annual meeting we also elected our association officers and board members, including 8 new people filling 7 vacant board positions. We held our first board meeting of the new year earlier this month at Jay and Lesley Adkins’ beautiful home on Galloway. There was a lot of excitement at the meeting regarding all the positive things going on in Evergreen and Midtown in general. I’m looking forward to a productive year of service to the neighborhood with the returning EHDA board members as well as the following new board members:
- Lanae Peterson, representing District I: Lanae and her husband are new to Evergreen, and Lanae has a passion for many types of crafts including pressure canning (which she promises to share with us at a future meeting).
- Kyle Veazey, representing District II: Kyle and his wife are also new to Evergreen. You may recognize Kyle’s byline in the Commercial-Appeal sports pages. Look for him now in the Local section because Kyle has traded in Grizzlies for Government as he covers all things politics for the C-A.
- Tony Pellicciotti, representing District III: Tony and his family are long-time Evergreeners. In fact, Tony recalled for us the details of an EHDA board meeting he attended 18 years ago. As an architect with LRK, Tony will be working with the association’s Planning Committee chaired by Will Murray.
- Nick Hayes, District IV: Nick got off to a rough start in his introduction to the rest of the board as he revealed he’s an Auburn grad. But he made a strong comeback by revealing that his wife is a nurse at St. Jude and they have lived in Evergreen for 2 years.
- Vince Higgins, District V: After a stint in Bartlett, Vince and his family moved to Evergreen and wouldn’t live anywhere else. Vince has a good breadth of experience in city and county government and will be a real asset to the board.
- Wendy Snyder & John Flink, At Large: I venture to say this dynamic husband and wife team get more done by 9 am than most of us do in a day. I met them this past summer at a Neighborhood Night Out party on their block of Forrest not long after they moved in and identified them as potential first round board draft picks. They both work at Naval Support Activity Millington and made a conscious decision to make Midtown and Evergreen their home base.
- Missy Williams, At Large: Missy is a physical therapist originally from Little Rock. As chance would have it, she was childhood friends with fellow board member Misti Doose. Missy has jumped right in and is assisting with preparations for the upcoming Evergreen Ball.
Speaking of the Evergreen Ball, there are only a few tickets left to the fancy affair this Saturday night, February 22nd, at the Stonewall Masonic Lodge (1583 Overton Park). If you attended our annual fundraiser last year you know that a fun evening is in store again this Saturday from 8 pm to Midnight. Small plates by restaurateur and Evergreen resident Sabine Bachmann; adult beverages and dancing with music by Perfection DJ’s; “Evergreen-experience” silent auction. The Evergreen Ball is the neighborhood association’s major fundraiser of the year. Proceeds earned from tickets and auction items help us to support the great amenities of our neighborhood and to fight blight and enhance our property values. Tickets will NOT be sold at the door. Please go to the Evergreen website now and buy your tickets before it is too late! http://evergreendistrict.org/
And while you’re on the website please pay your 2014 association dues!
See you around the neighborhood,